IRVINE, Calif., Feb 02, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that it has added support for the recently adopted Bluetooth(R) v3.0 + HS (High Speed) specification broadly across its Bluetooth and InConcert(R) combo chips and modules. The new standard greatly enhances the capabilities of Bluetooth technology in smartphones, personal computers, netbooks and other devices by enabling file transfers at speeds up to 24 Megabits per second (Mbps), utilizing an available 802.11 wireless LAN (WLAN) radio. By implementing Bluetooth 3.0 + HS across its Bluetooth and WLAN portfolios, Broadcom is helping drive novel applications such as remote control while also delivering ease-of-use and speed for other common applications such as File Transfer and Synchronization.
Broadcom's Bluetooth v3.0 + HS compliant technology is now in production with ODM partners in a mini-PCIe combo module for notebook computers and a combo single chip based SIP module targeting smartphones.
- Personal computers, netbooks, smartphones and other consumer electronics (CE) devices are adding Bluetooth v3.0 + HS wireless functionality to extend the user experience and facilitate high-speed file transfer and synchronization among devices.
- As a leading supplier of both Bluetooth and WLAN technology, and a leader in combination ('combo') chip products that combine both radios in a single chip design, Broadcom is in a unique position to drive Bluetooth v3.0 + HS adoption, further expanding the utility of Bluetooth in CE devices by enabling users to easily move large data files from their mobile phones to PCs and digital TVs.
- Several of Broadcom's silicon, software and combo chip solutions have achieved Bluetooth v3.0 qualification, including:
- The Broadcom(R) BCM2070, BCM2075, BCM43225 and BCM4325 chips, along with the BCM94312 half mini-card Bluetooth + WLAN solution.
- Key versions of Broadcom's advanced Bluetooth software including BTE-Mobile 3.15.2, BTW 5.6, and BTW 6.3.
- To ensure strong performance of its Bluetooth solutions, Broadcom has recently upgraded its innovative InConcert co-existence technology to add additional features that mitigate RF interference issues between Bluetooth and WLAN radios, especially for 'combo' chips and modules targeting small form factor devices. Broadcom's InConcert co-existence complements Bluetooth v3.0 + HS functionality to ensure high speed Bluetooth data transfer while simultaneously servicing other Bluetooth peripherals such as the mouse or headset.
- In addition, with its InConcert Maestro software platform, Broadcom continues to simplify the usage of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi solutions, allowing application developers and end users to enjoy the convenience of converged wireless functionality and newer standards such as Bluetooth v3.0+HS without having to deal with the complexity of understanding the technologies and making them work together.
- Key features of the new Bluetooth v3.0 + HS standard include:
- 10 times the transmission speed over previous Bluetooth specifications.
- Expanded capabilities for remote control applications featuring Unicast Connectionless Data (UCD) functionality that enables low power operation and reduced latency for CE remote control applications.
- Enhanced powerful security capabilities with support for the new Read Encryption Key Size feature that allows Bluetooth applications to ensure an appropriate level of communications security.
- Bluetooth v3.0 + HS is currently shipping in PCs and smartphones. The InConcert Maestro platform that allows application developers to exploit the high speed function in novel ways is available to early access partners.
Craig Ochikubo, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Wireless Personal Area Networking line of business
"We are a strong supporter of the new Bluetooth v3.0 + HS standard and are making its innovative features available in multiple configurations for a wide variety of applications. With our unique InConcert technology, which makes Bluetooth and WLAN work well together, we can offer silicon and software solutions that decrease the complexity of adding multiple wireless systems to innovative new consumer devices."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything(R).
Broadcom is one of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies, with 2008 revenue of $4.66 billion, and holds over 3,650 U.S. and over 1,450 foreign patents, more than 7,750 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500(R) company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the adoption of Bluetooth for high-speed synchronization, the demand for wireless solutions that support Bluetooth v3.0 and our position in that market. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with adding Bluetooth v3.0 to chip and software solutions, include but are not limited to:
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's Bluetooth technologies for mobile applications;
- trends in the wireless networking markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales;
- our ability to timely and accurately predict market requirements and evolving industry standards and to identify opportunities in new markets; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q42009.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, the Connecting everything logo, InConcert(R) and Maestro(TM) are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Trade Press Investor Relations Henry Rael T. Peter Andrew Vice President, Corporate Public Relations Manager Communications 949-926-5734 949-926-5663 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless
Copyright (C) 2010 PR Newswire. All rights reserved