Broadcom Announces Industry's First 40nm HD Full-Resolution 3DTV Video Gateway STB SoC Solution
Ultra-High Performance Set-Top Box SoC Coupled with Full HD 3D TV and Whole-Home Connectivity Integration that Enables Video Gateways with Streaming IP Video
The BCM7422 is the industry's first SoC to combine a 1.3 GHz multi-threaded MIPS® processor with the latest transmission efficient H.264/MPEG Scalable Video Coding (SVC), and Multiview Video Coding (MVC) standards for enabling 1080p60/50 content distribution and full-resolution HD 3DTV. Complementing this new level of application software and visual performance is a 1G pixel per second OpenGL® ES 2.0 3D GPU for advanced 3D graphics acceleration, as well as integrated whole-home connectivity functionality including MoCA® and DLNA® support to advance the connected home set-top box experience to the next level.
- The BCM7422 HD STB SoC solution features an ultra-high performance BRCM 5000 MIPS-based applications processor with 3000 DMIPS of applications processing performance supported by unique and powerful 2D and OpenGL ES 2.0 3D GPU's to further enhance web-based software platforms.
- Its distinctive distributed processing STB architecture features an additional 3000 DMIPS (total of 6000 DMIPS) of multiple high-performance sub-system processors and hardware supporting maximum bandwidth media center services including security termination and transcription, broadcast video to IP encapsulation, and multi-stream connected home IP content distribution.
- Featuring lower power and higher performance 40nm CMOS silicon technology, the BCM7422 supports a greener environment by reducing power requirements and integrates an intelligent power management processor to minimize STB power consumption.
- The BCM7422 is the industry's first STB SoC to feature the MPEG industry standard, SVC, that supports full-resolution HD 3DTV, and also enables a 40 percent bandwidth savings for backward-compatible 1080p60/50 sports content distribution to new and legacy STBs.
- With a separate and high performance (400 DMIPS) integrated MoCA home networking processor sub-system and available DLNA server/player software stack, service providers can easily support multi-room DVR services for five or more MoCA-based IP STB client devices enabling a simpler and cost effective home architecture that dramatically lowers capital costs.
- The BCM7422 also features a customized high performance (430MHz) VLIW (very long instructional word) DSP (digital signal processing) used mainly for audio processing. The DSP is also available to off-load the CPU for programming to support any video Codec and other miscellaneous signal processing applications.
- Supported by a broad array of time-to-market web-based connected home STB software applications including Adobe Flash® Platform for TV, Webkit HMTL 5.0, Java, Qt, DLNA 1.5, and DirectFB application libraries.
- Unique HD FastRTV channel change acceleration technology that improves channel change speeds by up to 500 percent.
- Supports the latest, advanced security and conditional access technologies including CableCard, Conax, DTCP-IP, Intertrust, Irdeto, Latens, Microsoft Playready®, Nagra, NDS, and Verimatrix.
Broadcom's BCM7421 HD STB SoC includes the same functionality as the BCM7422, but does not integrate MoCA and is targeted to address non-MoCA deployments.
"Technologies that create the connected 3DTV digital home with networking capabilities are leading the wave of next generation consumer electronics products. 3DTV unit shipments will grow ten-fold between 2010 and 2014. Worldwide residential media server unit shipments will exceed 3 million in 2011, and grow to over 13 million in 2014."
"We continue to provide technology with the very highest levels of performance and integration to allow the high levels of bandwidth required for the next generation connected home. Right now, there is an explosion of entertainment and information content available, and consumer demand for connected apps and 3DTV is driving the market. The BCM7422 solution supports full-resolution HD 3DTV and advanced connectivity enabling service providers to offer a compelling and leading video content experience, more web-based software applications and the ability to stream content and connect devices in the home and on-the-go."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
A FORTUNE 500® company,
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for full resolution high definition 3DTV and advanced connectivity set-top box technology and our position in that space. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt
Broadcom's technologies and products for next generation set-top box applications;
- the timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification; and
- the timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory.
Additional factors that may cause
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other
Broadcom Trade Press Contact
Broadcom Investor Relations Contact
News Provided by Acquire Media