Broadcom Announces New Android™ Platform to Enable Mass Market Smartphones
Cost-Effective Dual-Core Processor Delivers Simultaneous 3G HSDPA Connectivity and Applications Processing for a Compelling User Experience
- The features that have made the smartphone widely popular are driving demand for a more affordable tier of handsets, satisfying a broader consumer desire for the ability to run applications, view and share media, and enjoy a dynamic touch screen experience, all at a lower price point.
- The increasing proliferation of these features is driving growth in mobile data consumption, with a recent study from
Informaprojecting that smartphone traffic is expected to grow by 700 percent over the next five years. Broadcom's new BCM2157 Android baseband platform will enable handsets to satisfy a broader consumer demand for smartphone features and enable the growth in data traffic among cellular operators.
- The BCM2157 baseband processor platform includes the following advanced features:
- 3G HSDPA modem supports 7.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) downstream connectivity and worldwide roaming.
- Built-in support for HVGA displays, multi-touch screens, 5 megapixel digital cameras, 3G dual SIM/dual standby, and other key smartphone capabilities.
- Powerful dual-core ARM® processors for dedicated modem support and superior application processing (500MHz).
Broadcom's complete connectivity suite, featuring industry-leading Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS and NFC solutions, including InConcert® technology that makes these various technologies work better together.
- Support for mobile hotspot functionality, allowing the handset to share the 3G connection with up to 8 simultaneous devices or users via Wi-Fi.
- The platform is based on mature technology, building on the proven architecture of the BCM2153 and is now sampling to early access customers with first commercial launches expected in Q1 2011.
"The smartphone continues to influence the cellular industry, with defining features like multi-touch screens and the ability to run applications now enriching lower cost handsets. We've maximized the functionality of our new Android-processing baseband platform to enable our partners to deliver the most popular features in more affordable designs." -
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
A FORTUNE 500® company,
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, broader consumer demand for advanced smartphone features and the ability of handset makers to drive these features to a larger tier of users through the use of our baseband processor platform. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt
Broadcom's products and technologies in the HSDPA Android space;
- trends in mobile markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other
News Provided by Acquire Media