- The rising popularity of social media, online media and other Internet-based applications is driving more diverse form factors (such as netbooks and tablets) among computing devices and more integrated connectivity in digital TVs and other consumer electronics products.
- As these various devices evolve to offer applications that require increasing user inputs, more advanced peripherals that feature gestural control, the ability to interpret 3D images, and convenient text entry are replacing traditional wired mice and keyboards, as well as more conventional infrared remote controls.
- The new Broadcom BCM20730 single-chip HID solution enables a new generation of wireless input peripherals and 3D glasses that take advantage of Bluetooth, the most widely available technology for these applications.
- With smaller size, a higher level of integration and manufactured in 65 nanometer (nm) CMOS process technology, the BCM20730 delivers lower power consumption than other wireless HID solutions for longer battery life and a more satisfying user experience.
- The new BCM20730 Bluetooth chip includes the following features:
- On-chip support for common keyboard and mouse interfaces, eliminating the need for an external processor, reducing overall bill of materials (BoM) cost for wireless peripheral products.
- An integrated programmable keyscan matrix interface, with up to 8 × 20 key-scanning matrices, eliminating the need for external components otherwise needed for keyboard and mouse products.
- Built-in shutter control for 3D glasses, enabling advanced active-shutter glasses that synchronize signals with 3D televisions over Bluetooth (providing a more reliable link than infrared technology which currently dominates the category).
- Superior receiver sensitivity that maximizes the range and coverage for Bluetooth peripherals.
- Compatibility with Bluetooth 3.0, featuring the new UCD (unicast connectionless data) enhanced power control that saves power and extends battery life.
- The BCM20730 single-chip HID solution is now sampling to
Broadcom's early access customers.
"Bluetooth peripherals and remote controls are growing in popularity, providing a more convenient user experience by eliminating wires that can clutter work spaces and impede gestural remote control movements. Our next-generation Bluetooth solution for these devices will enable longer battery life and lower cost, helping drive the trend toward more widely available wireless user interfaces for the most popular CE and computing devices."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
A FORTUNE 500® company,
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, our next-generation Bluetooth solution helping drive the trend toward more widely available wireless user interfaces for the most popular CE and computing devices. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt
Broadcom's Bluetooth technologies for remote control applications and other peripherals;
- trends in the wireless networking markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- our ability to timely and accurately predict market requirements and evolving industry standards and to identify opportunities in new markets; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products
Additional factors that may cause
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of
Public Relations Manager
News Provided by Acquire Media