Broadcom's New Smartphone Chip Delivers Android™ with Advanced Graphics at an Affordable Price Point
40nm Baseband Processor Features Powerful ARM Cortex™ A9 Applications Processing for a Superior Android Smartphone Experience
A complete Android smartphone platform solution is available by combining the BCM21654 baseband processor with other
- The BCM2091 radio frequency (RF) IC,
- The BCM59039 advanced power management unit (PMU) with charger and audio support, and
- a full complement of
Broadcom's world-class connectivity devices, including the BCM4329 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/FM combo chip and the recently announced BCM47511 GPS chip with GPS + GLONASS support.
This powerful processor is the first to bring Cortex A9 processing power and extensive connectivity support into low cost 3G Android handsets.
- The same features that have made high-end smartphones widely popular are also driving demand for a more affordable tier of handsets with similar capabilities. Features such as the ability to run apps, view and share media, and enjoy a dynamic touch-screen experience are now required at lower price points.
- This new baseband platform will enable handsets that satisfy a broader consumer demand for smartphones, with lower smartphone price points that will help drive increased data plan subscribers while enabling growth in data traffic and ARPU (average revenue per user) among cellular operators.
- Building on the industry leading capabilities of the BCM21553 baseband, the BCM21654 brings even more powerful performance to the mainstream of the smartphone segment.
- The Broadcom BCM21654 baseband processor for Android smartphones
includes the following advanced features:
- Best-in-class ARM Cortex A9 processor for superior applications processing and advanced user interface support along with an ARM Cortex R4 communications processor.
- An integrated 3G HSPA modem that supports 7.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, as well as Class 32 EDGE support for greater flexibility and worldwide roaming.
- Dual-SIM capabilities that allow consumers to use the same handset for two different phone numbers or accounts, enabling applications such as access to work and personal cellular calls with one handset.
- The popular VideoCore® IV mobile multimedia processor core that delivers high-end smartphone capabilities:
- 30 frames per second (fps) of playback and supports full-rate video standards such as H.264 at high-quality VGA resolution
- An industry leading 3D graphics engine that enables up to 20 million triangles per second
- A 12 megapixel (JPEG) camera
- Support for 16 million colors, up to WVGA, and dual-displays
Broadcom's complete connectivity suite that features industry-leading Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS solutions, all supported by InConcert® technology that makes these various radio technologies work better together and with less interference.
"With consumers increasingly seeking out affordable handsets that deliver the optimal smartphone experience,
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
A FORTUNE 500® company,
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for advanced graphics and high performance applications processing for Android smartphone applications, our
position in those markets, and the timing of volume production for
Important factors that may cause such a difference for
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt
Broadcom's products and technologies in the HSDPA Android space;
- trends in mobile markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other
News Provided by Acquire Media