Broadcom's New Bluetooth Chip Family Enables Stereo Headsets With Voice Recognition Capabilities
Utilizing an Innovative Low Power 65nm CMOS Design, New Bluetooth Chips Enable Wireless Stereo Music and Hands-Free Phone Calls with the Same Headset Device
As the industry's first stereo Bluetooth SoC solutions designed in the 65 nanometer (nm) CMOS manufacturing process, the new BCM2077x family delivers these capabilities with the lowest power consumption available to ensure longer battery life, which is critical in stereo applications.
Highlights/ Key Facts:
- By integrating both stereo audio and hands-free capabilities into this new BCM2077x chip family,
Broadcomis helping to drive expansion of the existing Bluetooth market to include multi-functional products that will appeal to consumers interested in one headset design for both listening to music and for talking on the phone.
- Key features of the BCM2077x Bluetooth family:
- ROM-based solution that eliminates the need for costly and bulky external memory components to enable more compact, cost-effective designs.
- Far-end echo and noise cancellation that significantly improves 'double-talk' performance to deliver clearer conversations.
- Built-in voice-recognition technology that allows device makers to include support for spoken commands that enhance the user experience.
- 'Near-end' speech intelligibility enhancement that automatically enhances the quality and loudness for the wearer of the headset.
- Integrated multiple language voice prompts (in on-chip ROM) that increases ease-of-use and lowers bill-of-materials (BOM) cost.
- An integrated 'fast-charging' power management unit (PMU) that is capable of recharging the headset in only a few minutes.
- Highly tunable audio algorithms that enable further differentiation and a unique capability to adapt to various form factors.
- The BCM2077x family consists of three chips targeting different tiers of headsets:
- BCM20770 — optimized for entry-level headsets and provides a basic suite of features and audio enhancements
- BCM20771 — targeted to single-microphone mainstream headsets and features more advanced SmartAudio capabilities to deliver a higher level of audio clarity for both ends of the cellular conversation
- BCM20772 — designed for high-end headsets and includes
Broadcom's complete SmartAudio implementation with support for dual-microphone headsets that deliver the highest level of mono audio quality while also delivering the best stereo SNR (signal to noise ration) in its class Broadcom's SmartAudio technology intelligently analyzes digital audio streams within the Bluetooth hands-free device and differentiates between voice and non-voice characteristics while eliminating background noise to deliver a clearer and distortion-free conversation.
- Special wind-noise reduction technology can distinguish and significantly reduce this annoying audio interference for clearer and more intelligible conversations.
- Designed in a very small chip package, the BCM2077x family enables innovative industrial designs that includes 'behind the ear' and 'pendant' headsets that are comfortable and easy to wear.
- The BCM2077x family of Bluetooth SoC solutions is now sampling to early access customers.
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
A FORTUNE 500® company,
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for stereo capable Bluetooth headsets, our position in that space, and the impact of the BCM2077x family of Bluetooth SoC solutions on the hands-free and stereo music user experience. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt
Broadcom's Bluetooth technologies for mobile applications;
- trends in the wireless networking markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and SmartAudio® are among the trademarks of
Public Relations Manager
Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media