Broadcom Launches First Gigabit Speed 802.11ac Chips - Opens 2012 CES with 5th Generation (5G) Wi-Fi Breakthrough
5G WiFi Offers Consumers the World's Fastest, Most Reliable Wireless Coverage for HD-Quality Video and Near Instantaneous Data Synch
Innovation Attracts Support from Industry Leaders - Comcast, Lenovo, Motorola, NETGEAR and Others
Broadcomintroduces first family of IEEE 802.11ac chips based on the 5th generation of Wi-Fi (5G WiFi)
- 5G WiFi improves wireless range in the home, allowing consumers to watch HD-quality video from more devices, in more places
- The increased speed of 5G WiFi allows consumers to load web content on a mobile device faster, synch large video or music files quickly, all while extending battery life
- 5G WiFi addresses the growing need for a more robust and efficient wireless network
5G WiFi is the next generation Wi-Fi standard required for today's mobile and video era. Based on 802.11ac, 5G WiFi is a major evolutionary step from the existing 802.11a/b/g/n networks.
Digital-content consumption is on a steep incline, with video content expected to reach approximately 90 percent of global consumer traffic, according to Cisco's 2011 Visual Networking Index Forecast. At the same time, Internet traffic is shifting rapidly from wired to wireless networks. The increased reliance on wireless networks, the explosion of video consumption and the growing number of wireless devices being used are all putting tremendous stress on legacy 802.11a/b/g/n networks. As a result, consumers are prone to experience deteriorated performance, choppy videos and slower load times.
By creating more reliable whole-home coverage,
All 5G WiFi solutions from
Broadcomsupport the following features:
- 80 MHz channel bandwidth that is 2 times wider than current 802.11n solutions
- 256-QAM, a higher modulation scheme that increases data transfer efficiency
- Transmit and receive beamforming
- Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Codes
- Space-Time Block Codes (STBC)
- BCM4360 supports the PCIe interface and implements 3-stream 802.11ac specifications, and reaches speeds up to 1.3 Gbps.
- BCM4352 and BCM43526 implement 2-stream 802.11ac specification to reach up to 867 Mbps. BCM4352 supports PCIe interface; BCM43526 supports the USB interface.
- BCM43516 supports USB and reaches speeds of up to 433 Mbps with its single stream 802.11ac implementation.
- Chips with the PCIe interface are ideal for access points, routers, DSL/cable gateways and PC products; chips that use USB are ideal for consumer electronics devices including televisions, set-top boxes and Blu-Ray players.
Broadcom's new 5G WiFi chips deliver better coverage and longer battery life in a small form factor that is interoperable and compatible with existing technologies.
- Beamforming helps steer content in the direction of the intended receiver, increasing reliability and extending range; this is well complemented by STBC and LDPC code support.
- By transferring the same volume of data at a much faster rate, devices go into a low-power mode faster than existing 802.11n solutions.
- Designed on 40nm manufacturing process, the new chips are smaller and more power efficient, giving customers more design freedom.
Broadcom's 5G WiFi solutions work with all legacy 802.11 standards and complement other wireless technologies — like Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth and NFC.
802.11ac has generated broad support across the consumer-electronics industry. Companies and partners across the ecosystem recognize that 802.11ac is the future of Wi-Fi and are committed to its development, integration and distribution.
"Wi-Fi-enabled devices will grow from less than 1 billion units in 2010 to more than 3 billion in 2015. Given the current constraints of legacy 802.11 standards and the increased speed, capacity, coverage and battery life that 802.11ac offers, this next generation of Wi-Fi is poised for rapid growth across all product segments. 802.11ac will be one of the most influential mobile and wireless technologies in the years to come."
"As demand for connectivity solutions continues to rise in
"The exponential growth of digital media and wirelessly connected devices requires faster and more reliable ways to connect anytime, anywhere. 5G WiFi solves this media explosion challenge.
"Asus prides itself in leading the market with product innovations. 802.11ac offers disruptive technology benefits that Asus plans to use in its PC, tablet and router lines."
"As the recognized global leader in delivering award-winning connectivity experiences, we're excited to partner with
"It doesn't matter if you're a movie aficionado streaming video to your TV or surfing social networks from the furthest recesses of your home, Wi-Fi's latest and greatest standard, 802.11ac, promises to deliver the best end-user experience yet. I can see 802.11ac going into all the gadgets in your home, including PCs, smart phones, routers, tablets and TVs, and enhancing the connected home experience."
"We are partnering with
"Regardless of whether you're a consumer, small business, mid- to large-sized enterprise or service provider, 802.11ac offers significant benefits over legacy 802.11 standards, including faster speeds and broader range. D-Link continues to work aggressively with
"Huawei's terminal access and networking product lines will incorporate 802.11ac technology in mobile phone and gateway designs. The Huawei R&D team is pleased to be one of
"802.11ac is an exciting and important development for today's consumers and the wireless ecosystem. Lenovo is looking forward to the proliferation of this new technology into PC, Tablet, smartphone platforms. We also wish to extend the truly unlimited user experience that 802.11ac offers to smart TVs."
LG Electronics Spokesperson, LG Electronics
"802.11ac offers LG the opportunity to connect our ecosystem of consumer electronics and mobile products faster in more reliable ways. We are looking to integrate these fifth generation Wi-Fi solutions in our TVs and phones among other products."
"Companies or individuals utilizing unified communications solutions such as Microsoft Lync, will likely benefit from 802.11ac deployment, in particular when utilizing in scenarios requiring high quality video telephony."
"Motorola is committed to the highest performance and quality for our DSL and Cable Gateways. The next generation of Wi-Fi products, enabled by
"As the worldwide leader in home networking, NETGEAR sets the bar for performance, reliability, and ease of use in wireless networking. We are excited to partner with
Quan DengPing, CEO, Tenda
"As one of the leading Chinese retail brands, Tenda is committed to bringing new innovations to its customers. Our on-going partnership with
"The prevalence of wireless connected devices in the home requires that advancements in the WLAN standard continue to match the eminent fixed-line DOCSIS speeds. The 5th generation WLAN standard, 802.11ac, represents a tremendous leap forward in wireless home networking technology and will allow our service provider customers to offer their subscribers unparalleled wireless performance. Ubee and
Huang FuZong, Vice President of Network Product Operation Office, ZTE
"ZTE offers wireless video distribution solutions for carriers all over the world. With our
- 5G WiFi Website
- 5G WiFi Blog
- 5G WiFi White Paper
- BCM43516 Product Page
- BCM43526 Product Page
- BCM4352 Product Page
- BCM4360 Product Page
- B-Connected Broadcom Blog
Broadcom's RSS Feed: Mobile and Wireless News
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of
News Provided by Acquire Media