LAS VEGAS, Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --2012 International CES
- Qualcomm Atheros and Broadcom endorse HomePlug® AV as the best powerline technology to meet the interoperability, performance, maturity and reliability requirements of carriers and consumer networking OEMs around the globe.
- Leading vendors validate the performance and stability of HomePlug AV powerline products driving adoption of HomePlug AV solutions for demanding entertainment, home automation and energy management applications in the home.
- HomePlug AV complies with the IEEE 1901 standard for powerline networking and provides the powerline foundation for the IEEE P1905.1 Draft Standard for hybrid networks.
Qualcomm Atheros Inc., the networking and connectivity subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), and Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM) today announced the companies' mutual commitment to HomePlug technology as the powerline solution for high-performance, carrier-grade and consumer home networking applications. The companies have validated the performance and reliability of their solutions when operating together, which support a variety of demanding home networking applications, including simultaneous
transmission of multiple broadband HD streams and IPTV content distribution throughout the home.
- In recent months, the companies have jointly conducted performance testing between Qualcomm Atheros and Broadcom chipsets. Tests have verified that their HomePlug AV solutions deliver high performance across a range of real-world, multi-node home deployment cases and applications.
- Qualcomm Atheros and Broadcom are Sponsor members of the HomePlug Powerline Alliance, the organization responsible for establishing global powerline standards and testing devices for compliance and interoperability.
- Qualcomm Atheros and Broadcom are committed to enabling the market implementation and adoption of the newly approved HomePlug AV2 standard for next-generation powerline and the IEEE 1905.1 draft standard for hybrid networking, which leverages wired (HomePlug powerline, Ethernet and Multimedia Over Coax® - MoCA) and Wi-Fi® technologies to enhance seamless networking anywhere in the home.
Dan Rabinovitsj, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Networking Business Unit, Qualcomm Atheros
"With nearly 100 million HomePlug devices deployed, we firmly believe that it is the only viable powerline technology. We are committed to driving the continued rapid adoption of HomePlug technology for the next generation home networking of entertainment, smart energy and home automation applications."
Dan Marotta, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadband Communications Group, Broadcom
"Broadcom recognizes and supports customers' demand for multi-vendor supply of HomePlugAV technology. Broadcom is committed to HomePlugAV with mature hardware and firmware products that meet the interoperability and performance needs of our customers. As the world's largest supplier of broadband modems and shipping over 100 million modems per year, we will continue to deliver the benefits of high performance home networks built on deployed industry standards and to accelerate time-to-market for future products."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
About Qualcomm Atheros Inc.
Qualcomm Atheros Inc., the networking and connectivity subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, is a leading provider of wireless and wired technologies for the mobile, networking, computing and consumer electronics markets. The organization is focused on inventing technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. With its broad connectivity portfolio, Qualcomm Atheros provides its global customer base with high-performance, end-to-end solutions, featuring Wi-Fi®, GPS, Bluetooth®, Ethernet, HomePlug® powerline and PON technologies. Qualcomm Atheros leverages its substantial expertise in RF, signal processing, software and
networking to deliver highly integrated, low-power, system-level solutions that enable customers to create high-performance, differentiated products. For more information, go to www.qca.qualcomm.com.
Qualcomm Atheros is a trademark of Qualcomm Atheros Inc. HomePlug is a registered trademark of the HomePlug Powerline Alliance. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other trademarks are the sole property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband