Broadcom Extends 5G WiFi Leadership with New 802.11ac Chips for Enterprise and Wireless Cloud Networks
World's First 5G WiFi SoC for Enterprise Enables Fastest On-the-Go Gigabit Connectivity for PCs, Netbooks, Tablets and Smartphones
- Delivers industry's fastest and most reliable Wi-Fi connectivity that rivals Gigabit Ethernet
- 3x faster and 6x more power efficient than previous generation 802.11n devices
- Fully interoperable with legacy 802.11 technologies
"Enterprise networks are on the cusp of a new mobile computing era in which tablets and smartphones will be ubiquitous in the workplace," said
According to a recent enterprise survey conducted by analyst firm Infonetics(1), employees around the world are replacing the use of desktops and laptops with smartphones and tablets, and IT departments are scrambling to connect those devices. As the number of mobile devices and the deployment of cloud based enterprise networks continue to scale at a dramatic rate, IT managers must reconsider how they provision, secure and control enterprise computing resources and information access.
About 5G Wi-Fi
Increased reliance on wireless networks, the explosion of video consumption and growing number of wireless devices are all putting tremendous stress on legacy 802.11a/b/g/n networks. With new innovations that allow for more reliable coverage, 5G WiFi addresses these challenges, allowing mobile device users to stream digital content between devices faster, and simultaneously connect more wireless devices to home and enterprise networks, while conserving battery power. Visit www.broadcom.com or www.5gwifi.org to learn more.
Bandwidth-intensive content in the enterprise, such as video conferencing, and customer relationship management (CRM) applications, require speeds that rival Gigabit Ethernet and compatibility with centralized wired Gigabit speed networks.
The 2.4/5 GHz single-chip MAC/PHY/Radio BCM43460 is ideal for Enterprise and Carrier class access points, branch office routers and business class integrated services routers. New features such as
The new Enterprise focused airtime fairness feature enables better performance through its support for a denser environment of mixed speed Wi-Fi devices. Advanced spectrum analysis features combine in-depth RF analysis with real-time WLAN information for real-time troubleshooting of performance problems. This feature is critical to Enterprise operators for deep monitoring of interference in the network, resulting in more reliable, consistent wireless service. State-of-the-art security is provided by industry standardized system support for WPA, WPA2, hardware accelerated AES encryption/decryption TKIP and IEEE 802.1X.
- Exponential growth forecasted in Enterprise mobile device deployment. Analysts tout mobility as the overriding trend in 2012 Enterprise networks(1)
- Mobile content consumption has created a need for faster and more reliable ways to access content across devices anytime, anywhere(1)
- Bandwidth-intensive content in the Enterprise requires Gigabit wireless connectivity speeds
- Dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz) IEEE 802.11ac draft 3 x 3 compliant MAC/PHY/Radio complete SoC
- Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) technology doubles spectral efficiency
- Fully integrated dual-band radio transceiver supports 3 x 3 antennas for date rates up to 1.3 Gbps
- Embedded hardware acceleration enables increased system performance and significant reduction in host-CPU utilization in access point configurations
Airtimefairness for most efficient use of channel time in dense mixed speed client environments
- Integrated FASTPATH UAP software provides complete turnkey 11ac solution
The BCM43460 is now sampling with production volume slated for the second half of 2012.
Matthias Machowinski, Directing Analyst, Enterprise Networks — Infonetics
"As mobile devices proliferate among users, and enterprises centralize their data and applications in the cloud, enterprise wireless networks must evolve to deliver faster throughput, higher capacity, and broader coverage. 802.11ac delivers on all of these, and we expect enterprises to enthusiastically embrace this next generation wireless technology once it is available in the market place."
"With the rapid growth of Wi-Fi enabled devices permeating the enterprise network,11ac will be a defining technology in bringing mission critical capability to the enterprise wireless LAN. Huawei is pleased to be an early collaborator with
"The Enterprise wireless LAN market will experience tremendous growth over the next five years, driven by the continued adoption of personal technology in the enterprise and the bandwidth demands of real-time collaborative applications. The enhanced performance and throughput of 802.11ac will allow Enterprises to do more with their wireless networks, including streaming high-definition voice and video seamlessly over Wi-Fi. We are excited to continue our partnership with
- BCM43460 Featured Product Page
- B-Connected Broadcom Blog
Broadcom News Room
Broadcom's RSS Feed: http://go.broadcom.com/sv2
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, FASTPATH and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of
(1) Infonetics CRS: Enterprise Networking in 2012--What's in Store?
Broadcom Trade Press Contact
Broadcom Investor Contact
Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media