Broadcom Introduces New Platforms Optimized for Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' Smartphones
Single and Dual Core Processors with VideoCore® Technology Provide Premium Android Experience
- Family of platforms optimized for Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich' target smartphone buyers in fastest-growing segments
- Highly integrated processors feature single or dual ARM Cortex A9s, 3G modems up to 21 Mbps, and industry leading VideoCore® graphics, HD video, and Image Signal Processing (ISP)
- Advanced connectivity suite includes concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi, multi-constellation (GPS+GLONASS) positioning, NFC and Bluetooth 4.0
Smartphones have become the primary communications and computing devices that consumers use, with
All three platforms are sampling to customers and expected to be in production in the second half of 2012.
- Optimized for Superior Android 4.0 ICS Smartphones:
Broadcom's industry-leading VideoCore technology offers a 'third processing core' to offload the application processor, enriching the Ice Cream Sandwich user experience with the industry's lowest power HD playback and camcorder capabilities up to 1080p.
- Low latency memory and bus architecture boosts overall system performance for a highly responsive user interface.
- Highest quality imaging is provided by
Broadcom's latest Image Signal Processor (ISP) that supports cameras up to 42 megapixels, with very low light capabilities and wide dynamic range for the sharpest images.
- Processor Options:
- BCM28145 and BCM28155:
- Dual ARM Cortex A9 cores at up to 1.3 GHz frequencies with VideoCore offload engine that provides twice the performance at half the power of comparable solutions.
- An integrated HSPA+ release-8, category-14 modem supports 21 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, and Class 33 EDGE support for greater flexibility and worldwide roaming.
- ARM Cortex A9 processing at 1GHz for superior applications processing and advanced user interface support.
- An integrated 3G HSPA modem that supports 7.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, and Class 33 EDGE.
- BCM28145 and BCM28155:
- Advanced Platform Features:
- BCM4334 combo chip provides Bluetooth 4.0 and concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity that enables simultaneous Internet connectivity and support for advanced features like Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Display.
- BCM47511 GNSS solution supports both GPS and GLONASS constellations for more accurate positioning and faster Time to First Fix (TTFF).
- BCM20792 low-power NFC chip supports multiple secure elements for mobile payments and innovative simplified connectivity applications.
- Multimode, multiband 3G/2G radio and highly efficient power management chips
- Broadcom InConcert® technology minimizes radio interference among the various technologies within the connectivity sub-system for a more satisfying user experience.
- 3G/2G dual-SIM capabilities with lowest overall power in standby and active modes allow consumers to use the same handset for two different phone lines, enabling applications such as access to work and personal cellular calls with one handset.
"For tens of millions of people around the world, an Android 4.0 smartphone will be the first computer they own, making accessible to them vast resources and information that will enrich their lives and connect them in new and exciting ways. Advanced graphics and image processing are expected to be at least as important as raw apps processing power in enabling the most satisfying 'Ice Cream Sandwich' user experience in these devices. With its unique VideoCore graphics engine integrated into these new smartphone processors,
- Broadcom Cellular Solutions
- Broadcom Connected Blog
- Subscribe to
Broadcom's RSS Feed: Mobile and Wireless News
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, VideoCore® and InConcert® are among the trademarks of
Sr. Manager, Public Relations
Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media