— Enables fastest and most reliable Gigabit connectivity for home and small/medium business (SMB) networks
— 10x faster and 40 percent more power efficient than existing solutions(1)
— Allows simultaneous video streaming to multiple users and devices in any room
As video and media consumption continues to grow, 5G WiFi enabled devices and services will play a critical role in delivering reliability, higher capacity and faster throughput.
The new devices also feature
Increased reliance on wireless networks, the explosion of video consumption, and growing number of wireless devices are all putting stress on legacy 802.11a/b/g/n networks. 5G WiFi addresses these challenges, enabling mobile device users to stream digital content between devices faster, and simultaneously connect more wireless devices to home and enterprise networks, while conserving battery power. Visit http://www.broadcom.com/ or www.5gwifi.org to learn more.
- Massive traffic growth, especially video, challenges current networks(3)
- By 2016, users will own and need to wirelessly synch an average of six devices per person(4)
- Need for energy conservation and lower energy costs driving regulatory compliance in home networking
- High-performance 5G WiFi Gigabit connectivity to multiple consumer and SMB devices
- Acceleration engines optimized for 5G WiFi and over-the-top (OTT) direct-from-provider video/audio content
- 5x processing horsepower with increased CPU headroom enables new applications such as cloud services(5)
- Rich peripheral set supports NFC, video/audio and network storage applications
- Integrated GbE PHY/switch and regulators enable flexible, scalable solution for multiple GbE router platforms
- USB 3.0 delivers up to 10x the transfer speed of USB 2.0 for high-speed storage
The StrataGX BCM5301x and the BCM4708x series are sampling with production release slated for the second half of 2012.
"Consumers increasingly expect to be able to access and watch video and other high-bandwidth content on their mobile devices throughout their homes, a capability that 5G WiFi enables better than any other Wi-Fi technology available on the market today. These highly-integrated SoC products will help ignite the mass market adoption of 5G WiFi and expand the ecosystem of devices capable of providing its benefits to home and SMB network users worldwide."
"The ecosystem of the digital home and SMB networks is rapidly evolving as the use of high-bandwidth applications, adoption of new devices and need for wireless connectivity all increase concomitantly. The expectations of consumers and professionals will only continue to grow for wireless connectivity to match Ethernet speeds, while providers will need to meet traffic demands and lower energy requirements—both driving the development and adoption of this latest iteration of WiFi."
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, and StrataGX™ are among the trademarks of
(1) Gigabit connectivity (1,000 Mbps) as compared to average wired Ethernet speeds per household of 100 megabits per second
(2) Natural Resource Defense Counsel, 2011. "Better Viewing, Lower Energy Bills, and Less Pollution." http://www.nrdc.org/energy/settopboxes.asp
(3) Cisco Visual Networking Index, 2011. "More than 100 percent CAGR since 1990."
(4) Cisco Visual Networking Index, 2011
(5) Current solution offers 1000 to 1200 DMIPS; BCM5301x and 4708x series offers up to 5000 DMIPS
Public Relations Manager,
Sr. Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media