Broadcomwireless innovations enable Wi-Fi as the connectivity backbone for in-home media distribution
- New CE combo chip provides high bandwidth Wi-Fi for high quality video streaming and Bluetooth 4.0 for voice commands and gestural remotes
- Wireless media dongle design brings Wi-Fi Display to any HDTV for real-time streaming of video from mobile devices to the big screen
With wireless connectivity attach rates in smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming media boxes and other products expected to grow to almost 50% over the next four years, Wi-Fi will increasingly become a primary channel by which video and other media reach the CE device. Similarly, smartphones and other mobile devices have become important platforms for viewing digital content and now occupy an important role in how people access and enjoy media.
Combo Chip Optimized for CE
The new Broadcom® BCM43242 features advanced dual-band multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) Wi-Fi technology to enable integrated video streaming and over-the-top capabilities in CE devices. The BCM43242 also includes dual-stream technology, supporting features such as advanced error correction and an innovative capability to support simultaneous Wi-Fi connections to two devices, allowing a smart TV to simultaneously access Internet content and stream high-bandwidth video from a smartphone, tablet or PC. The chip can also enable peer-to-peer transmissions in the 5 GHz band, with more spectrum and less congestion in that frequency range allowing better quality video streaming and smartphone-to-TV video sharing.
With integrated Bluetooth 4.0, the new combo device will enable CE products to use advanced remotes, game controllers, stereo headphones, keyboards, 3D glasses and other interface devices. Broadcom Bluetooth also features the ability to stream audio to home stereos, enable voice recognition in remote controls and connect smartphones and other devices to the CE ecosystem, driving innovation in user interface development. The BCM43242 includes
This level of integration enables a complete, cost effective wireless subsystem for digital TV platforms.
Wi-Fi Display Dongle
Further driving adoption and use of Wi-Fi Display,
BCM43242 Key Features:
- 802.11n 2x2 MIMO technology uses dual transmitters and receivers to boost data rates and enable 70% greater range at high-speed than single stream Wi-Fi.
Advanced Virtual Simultaneous Dual Band(VSDB) functionality enables peer-to-peer and access point connectivity at the same time.
- First to combine MIMO Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.0 on a monolithic SoC for CE applications.
- Bluetooth 4.0 includes advanced software features to support low power peripherals and provide superior 3D glasses synchronization.
- Includes key interfaces for CE applications, including USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 for easier integration with existing DTV and CE platforms.
- Delivers proven Bluetooth / Wi-Fi coexistence features to CE devices for unparalleled user experience when the two technologies share the 2.4GHz band.
- Integrated RF power amplifiers (PAs) accommodating both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands eliminate the need for external PAs, reducing bill of materials (BOM) cost.
- Other advanced features include antenna diversity, LDPC, STBC and "fast channel switch" that enables the use of two radio channels simultaneously.
Wi-Fi Display Dongle Features:
Ultralow-power dual-band, dual-stream media dongle solution with simplified connectivity.
- Compatible with Wi-Fi Display v1.40 or later compliant devices and compliance with Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast, when available.
- Supports ultra low latency performance when
Broadcomtechnology is used at both ends of the connection, defaulting to standards-compliant latency in mixed environments.
- Integrated USB 2.0 interface allows dongle to be self-powered by USB rather than an AC wall plug adapter, reducing cost and design complexity.
- Video processing supports 720p and 1080p HD video.
- Complete turnkey software solution and design files enable rapid time to market for end-user products.
The BCM43242 is now sampling to
"Over the top video, wireless display applications, advanced remote controls and 3D glasses are some of the innovative applications that wireless connectivity is enabling in the living room, providing ever more opportunities for involving and engaging the end user. With its complete Wi-Fi Display dongle design,
"The size, performance and time-to-market advantage that
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, VideoCore® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of
Sr. Manager, Public Relations (MWG)
Sr. Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media