Broadcom Extends Leadership with New StrataXGS Trident II Switch Series Optimized for Cloud-Scale Data Center Networks
World's Highest Density, Feature-Rich 10/40GbE Switch with VXLAN Support Delivers 4X Network Virtualization Scale
- World's first single chip to deliver more than 100 10GbE ports
- 2X greater forwarding density enables massive network infrastructure scaling
- Scales to support tens of thousands of server and virtual machine endpoints in multi-tenant environments
- Integrated SmartSwitch technologies deliver unprecedented innovation for cloud-scale networking
Public and private cloud, Web 2.0 and other high-bandwidth data center applications are driving the need for higher scale and efficiency in the data center.
Fast, Fat and Flat Networks with New SmartSwitch Technologies
The StrataXGS Trident II Series features new SmartSwitch technologies designed to break through traditional silicon and system-imposed performance barriers in cloud-scale networking. Increased performance needs for server-to-server and server-to-storage communication are driving the need for fast, fat and flat networks. Dynamic workload placement and the need for granular traffic visibility, load balancing and diagnostics are similarly driving more flexible software defined networks (SDN). The new SmartSwitch technologies include:
Smart-NV: Delivers up to 4X greater scale, enabling SDN virtualization across both virtual and physical workloads at wire-speed. Enables cloud-scale network infrastructure virtualization using advanced Layer 2 over Layer 3 (L2oL3) network virtualization technologies such as NVGRE and VXLAN.
- Smart-Buffer: Delivers up to 5X higher packet buffer utilization and burst absorption performance using innovative traffic load-based intelligent and dynamic allocation schemes.
- Smart-Table: Delivers highest Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding scale with network topology-based profiling for maximum deployment flexibility.
- Smart-Hash: Eliminates polarization and load imbalances in fat-tree networks possessing heavy and diverse traffic patterns. Provides unprecedented network traffic visibility and diagnostics required by software defined networking.
- Annual global data center IP traffic will reach 4.8 zettabytes by 20151
- Overall cloud IP traffic will grow at a CAGR of 66 percent from 2012 - 20151
- Predicted to account for more than one-third (34 percent) of total data center traffic1
- Public cloud workloads expected to grow at a 50 percent CAGR from 2012 - 20152
- 40 percent of servers are virtualized today and are projected to reach 75 percent by 20153
- Data center 10GE ports projected to grow at a 40 percent CAGR from 2012 - 20164
- 40GE ports projected to grow at a 130 percent CAGR of from 2012 - 20164
StrataXGS Trident II Key Features
- Enables unprecedented 10/40GbE single chip switch configurations
- 100+ 10GbE ports with flexibility to support up to 32 40GbE ports
- First integrated switch delivers NVGRE and VXLAN L2oL3 transit and gateway switch technologies
- Supports industry's highest equal cost multipathing-based fat-tree networking scale on a single chip
- Greater FCoE network scale enabling true LAN/SAN convergence — up to 4X increase in forwarding entries
- High port density with direct attach to SFP+/QSFP modules and KR Backplanes
- Integrated IEEE 1588 1-step timing solution
- Delivers 40 percent reduction in bill of material costs and 30 percent better phase accuracy
The StrataXGS Trident II Series includes multiple device options and is sampling this quarter. See
"Our StrataXGS switch solutions are renowned throughout the industry for driving unsurpassed performance levels and cost metrics in data center, service provider and enterprise network environments. Our latest StrataXGS Trident II Series — a follow-on to the highly successful Trident series of single chip switch solutions — delivers unprecedented innovation with new features optimized to meet the performance, scalability and efficiency demands of both the traditional enterprise and emerging mega data centers, enabling a new era in cloud-scale and software defined networking."
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)
"Arista has long partnered with
"Unprecedented demand for online content coupled with ever increasing cluster computing demands in the cloud has driven data centers to increasing scale, flexibility and levels of virtualization. Avaya plans to power these next generation data centers with leading Avaya Ethernet switches utilizing
"We are seeing significant demand from next generation data centers that benefit from Extreme Networks' switches capable of virtualized, multi-tenant and flexible network architectures.
End Users and Software Platform Vendors
"High density 10 and 40GbE switches with leading network virtualization, table scale, network visibility and congestion management features enable cloud operators to deliver next generation cloud services. The significantly high level of silicon integration and comprehensive data center feature set available in
"As data centers grow at an unprecedented pace, customers are looking for solutions that enable choice and interoperability in their data centers. Big Switch Networks is pleased to collaborate with
"Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Network Virtualization with NVGRE provides scalable multi-tenancy and provides new capabilities such as seamless workload mobility in multi-tenant and mega-datacenter environments. Connecting physical and virtualized workloads and legacy servers to new network virtualized services is equally important; the StrataXGS Trident II switch series implements NVGRE gateway capabilities to facilitate such connectivity, delivering cloud scale network virtualization."
"Software-defined networking will provide organizations with greater flexibility and higher resource utilization in private, hybrid and public cloud deployments.
Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs)
"Accton has partnered with
"Alpha Networks has worked closely with
"DNI is committed to provide world class Ethernet switch products with a focus on quality, superior features, power efficiency and competitive cost.
"Developments such as virtualization, cloud computing, and network consolidation have all contributed to unprecedented demands on datacenter switches. This is evidenced by the recent stellar growth in 10GbE and 40GbE datacenter switches where
"Service providers, telcos and Internet content providers around the world have embraced the cloud concept in earnest and are heavily investing in new infrastructure, building on their existing networks to add a range of cloud-based services. Network virtualization and switch forwarding features that can scale to support a large number of servers and users are among the top requirements.
"Higher data rates, energy efficient design and cost pressures are paramount considerations for IT professionals as they scale the network to support the massive number of connected devices and bandwidth hungry applications in the cloud.
Cloud-Scale Networking Feature Page
1 Cisco, Cloud Index, 2010 — 2015
2 Morgan Stanley, Cloud Computing Takes Off, 2012
4 Dell'Oro, Ethernet Switch Forecast,
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and StrataXGS® are among the trademarks of
VMware and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in
Broadcom Trade Press Contact
Broadcom Investor Contact
Senior Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media