Broadcom Expands StrataGX Family - New Solutions Enable Faster, More Power Efficient Enterprise and SMB Networks
Five New SoCs Deliver 10x Speed to Support Higher Bandwidth 5G WiFi
- More than 10x faster and 40 percent more power efficient than current market solutions
- Faster speed to support higher bandwidth 802.11ac (5G WiFi)
- Rich multi-media processing fully integrates VoIP and video phone solutions
Increasing requirements on services and the adoption of 5G WiFi in businesses are creating performance, capacity, and reliability requirements for enterprise and SMB networks.
The newest additions to the StrataGX series of SoCs also address the growing demand for multi-media distribution. The new chips double the cache size and integrate a digital signal processing unit and multimedia engine into the core to meet the increased requirements for wireless bandwidth and higher CPU throughout the enterprise network.2
Increased reliance on wireless networks, the explosion of video consumption, and growing number of wireless devices are all putting stress on legacy 802.11a/b/g/n networks. 5G WiFi addresses these challenges, enabling mobile device users to stream digital content between devices faster, and simultaneously connect more wireless devices to enterprise networks, while conserving battery power. Visit http://www.broadcom.com/ or www.5gwifi.org to learn more.
- Massive traffic growth, especially video, challenges current networks3
- By 2016, users are expected to own and need to wirelessly synchronize an average of six devices per person4
- Adoption of 5G WiFi (802.11ac) predicted to ramp through 20145
- SMB market expected to significantly expand its use of public cloud services
- 10x performance improvements with increased CPU headroom enables new applications such as cloud services6
- USB 3.0 delivers up to 10x the transfer speed of USB 2.0 for high-speed storage
- Integrated GbE PHY/switch and regulators enable flexible, scalable solution for multiple GbE router platforms
- High-performance 5G WiFi Gigabit connectivity to multiple SMB and enterprise devices
- BCM53014, 53015, 53016 SoCs engineered for wireless enterprise access points and enterprise switch control plane
- Pin-compatible to and are fully software compatible with BCM53010, 53011, 53012
- BCM53017, 53018 SoCs provide additional performance enhancements to the StrataGX hardware/software compatibility for faster time to market
The five new SoCs in the StrataGX series, BCM53014, 53015, 53016, 53017 and 53018, are currently sampling with production slated for 1H 2013. The industry-leading StrataGX series, including BCM53010, 53011, and 53012, is now in production. All products in the StrataGX series are companions to
"Earlier this year we introduced the industry-leading StrataGX series of SoCs to enable new levels of performance in video applications, such as video conferencing. By preserving and maintaining the hardware footprint and package compatibility of the original StrataGX series with our five new higher-performance chips,
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, and StrataGX™ are among the trademarks of
1 New StrataGX chips are 20 percent faster and more power efficient than first-generation StrataGX chips. StrataGX series compared to current market solutions provides 10x the speed through Gigabit connectivity (1,000 Mbps) compared to average wired Ethernet speeds per household of 100 megabits per second; provides 40 percent increase in power efficiency through integrated GbE PHY at 240mW compared to 400mW in current market solutions.
2 Doubled cache size, new signal processing unit and multimedia engine add 10% processing power over first generation StrataGX SoCs.
3 Cisco Visual Networking Index, 2012. "More than 100 percent CAGR since 1990."
4 Cisco Visual Networking Index, 2012.
6 Current solution offers 1000 to 1200 DMIPS; BCM5301x series offers up to 5000 DMIPS.
Public Relations Manager,
Sr. Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media