Broadcomand Nintendo have jointly developed 5GHz Wi-Fi to support low-latency video and audio transmission between the Wii U console and the Wii U GamePad controller
- Bluetooth 4.0 support with backward compatibility enables most legacy games and peripherals to be used with the new system
Field Communications(NFC) and Wi-Fi introduce new capabilities for the gaming experience
In the new Wii U system, Nintendo and
By incorporating Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, the Wii U system redefines the video game experience by delivering unique capabilities. For example:
- Play and Watch TV Simultaneously: Seamlessly switch from playing a game to watching TV on the big screen while continuing uninterrupted game-play on the GamePad for specially designed games.
- New and Unexpected Video Game and Entertainment Experiences: The addition of the GamePad, which includes a 6.2-inch touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks, will open up new possibilities for both game developers and game players.
Watch the Wii U YouTube channel for the latest games and more interesting use cases: http://www.youtube.com/wiiu.
- Use of dual-band Wi-Fi for optimal wireless transmission:
- Use of 5GHz Wi-Fi for low-latency video and audio transmission
- Use of 2.4GHz Wi-Fi for wireless connectivity for Internet access
Broadcom's NFC technology has the ability to further extend the benefits of connectivity with simplified pairing and seamless, instant communication between devices
- Inclusion of latest Bluetooth technology enables backwards compatibility with existing handheld controllers and supports future enhancements
- Broadcom InConcert wireless technologies uniquely enhance how devices work together by optimizing performance of various radio components and minimizing wireless interference:
- BCM43362, BCM43237 and BCM4319 Wi-Fi chips provide proven wireless connectivity expertise with high-quality latency performance to ensure an immersive and responsive user experience
- NFC:BCM20792 is the first NFC controller tailored for increased flexibility, developed in 40 nm and enabling low power performance
- Bluetooth: BCM20702 chip improves consumer electronics controller applications
All of the
"With the wireless Wii U GamePad, Nintendo is able to deliver new experiences that transform the way people think about games, social interaction and entertainment.
"Nintendo continues to lead the gaming industry by leveraging wireless connectivity technologies to provide a user experience that is fresh, innovative and increasingly relevant outside of the traditional video gaming arena. We are thrilled to be working with Nintendo to again leverage our advanced wireless technology and push the limits of what is possible with video games and the broader consumer electronics industry."
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of
Sr. Director, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media