IRVINE, Calif., May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Broadcom's Bluetooth® Smart chip delivers new levels of connectivity for battery-operated peripherals like heart rate monitors, pedometers, door locks and more
- Industry-leading software stack, including classic Bluetooth and Bluetooth Smart technology, contributed to Android Open Source Project
- New SoC and development systems available today via Broadcom strategic distribution partners
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced a new Bluetooth Smart system-on-a-chip (SoC) to propel a broader range of low-cost, low-power peripherals to work with Android-based smartphones and tablets. The company also announced the contribution of its Bluetooth software stack, including classic Bluetooth and Bluetooth Smart (formerly Bluetooth Low Energy) technology, to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). The new Broadcom chip and contribution of its software will help drive proliferation of Bluetooth technology in the "Internet of Things" ecosystem. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Broadcom's new BCM20732 Bluetooth Smart SoC allows original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to seamlessly connect peripheral devices like heart rate monitors, pedometers, door locks, lighting, proximity alarms and more. Designed for simple integration into coin cell batteries, the ARM® Cortex M3-based BCM20732 will inspire a new range of connectivity for previously unconnected devices. With Broadcom's new SoC, it is now possible to operate Bluetooth Smart-enabled products for more than one year without recharging the small batteries that power them. The BCM20732 will be showcased at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2013.
The introduction of Broadcom's Bluetooth Smart software expands opportunities for OEMs in the explosive "Internet of Things" market, particularly with in health, fitness, personal security and home automation markets. Broadcom's stack includes built-in application programming interface calls (APIs) to enable instant control of peripheral devices directly from Android-based smartphones and tablets, as well as application development kit (ADK) peripheral support to help OEMs quickly and easily develop products with the latest profiles and customized applications for enhanced consumer experiences.
"The integration of Bluetooth Smart into the Android community is a huge step forward for the 'Internet of Things'," said Brian Bedrosian, Broadcom's Senior Director, Embedded Wireless, Wireless Connectivity Combo Group. "Broadcom is committed to driving new standards of connectivity for OEMs by providing both software and hardware for simplified development of high-performance products. Adding direct support for Bluetooth Smart directly into the most widely used mobile OS will greatly expand the opportunities for users to easily monitor and control aspects of their health, fitness, and security for smartphones and tablets."
- Bluetooth Smart compliant single mode low energy solution
- Integrated ARM CM3 microcontroller unit (MCU), radio frequency (RF) and Embedded Bluetooth Smart Stack all on a single chip
- Full software support, including GATT, profiles, stack, APIs and application software development kit (SDK)
- Power optimized for single mode coin cell operation and from 1.2V supply
- On-chip support for 2 serial peripheral interfaces (SPIs)
- On-board 12-bit analog to digital converter (ADC)
- On-board wakeup timer
- Designed for fast ramp, easy manufacturing with 5x5 mm quad-flat no-leads (QFN) packaging
The Broadcom BCM20732 is currently sampling with evaluation boards (EVBs) and SDKs and is available in volume production.
For ongoing news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom, read the B-Connected Blog, or visit Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to Broadcom's RSS Feed.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless