LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 CES International --
- Support for Apple AirPlay™ enables media streaming from iOS devices
- Advanced synchronization delivers multi-room, multi-zone coverage for playing range of audio content in different areas of the home
- Enhanced range and low latency eliminates glitches for flawless reception
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced a new software development kit (SDK) to its Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices (WICED™) portfolio to enable HD audio streaming over Wi-Fi networks. Visit Broadcom's 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) site to learn more at www.connectingeverything.com.
Broadcom's WICED Audio SDK provides original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) with an innovative solution that delivers audio content directly to speakers from any device connected to the Wi-Fi network, without the use of a docking station or cable. The new SDK includes pre-integrated Apple AirPlay support. Additionally, home media devices can seamlessly connect to products like smart TVs, portable speakers, media players, set-top boxes, sound bars and more, using the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) standard or an advanced streaming application for Android. WICED Audio also improves synchronization and offers significant range benefits that enable multiple configurations with multiple speakers on the same Wi-Fi network.
"Broadcom's new SDK expands opportunities in the growing wireless audio and entertainment market," said Brian Bedrosian, Broadcom Senior Director, Product Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. "With proven expertise in embedded high-performance Wi-Fi and a strong base of entertainment access and smartphone customers, the simplified integration of Broadcom's WICED Audio SDK will help drive adoption of Wi-Fi audio in the home."
Key Features and Benefits:
- Offers a turnkey wireless module for simplified integration
- Extends 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity to audio speakers
- Mature and proven API allows customers to quickly implement applications that stream audio over the Internet directly to speakers
- I2S driver and API function calls directly interface to audio DACs with precise clocking
- Support for 16- and 24-bit audio samples
- Support for multiple audio sample rates, including 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz and 96 KHzSupport for widely used audio codecs such as WavPack and Celt
- Synchronization algorithms that use timing information from Wi-Fi packets
Broadcom's WICED platform eases development and simplifies implementation of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity in an array of consumer devices, particularly in products without sophisticated user interfaces or existing networking capabilities.
The Broadcom WICED Audio SDK is now sampling with reference modules and an SDK that enables fast time to market and simplified system integration.
For more information on WICED visit www.broadcom.com/products/wiced/.
For ongoing news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom, read the B-Connected Blog, or visit Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to Broadcom's RSS Feed.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and WICED™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless