LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 CES International --
- Enables more efficient operator content delivery for increased subscriber footprint, higher resolution content or additional HD channels
- Enhances quality and quantity of over-the-top services delivered through existing infrastructure
- Drives new opportunities for introduction and expansion of multi-screen and multi-headed services
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced two new system-on-a-chip (SoC) devices for entry-level satellite set-top boxes (STBs). Broadcom's BCM7364 and BCM7399 direct broadcast satellite chips are engineered with the advanced high-efficiency video codec (HEVC) standard to enable satellite operators to deliver more channels of HD content to a broader subscriber base over existing network infrastructure. Visit Broadcom's 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) site to learn more at www.connectingeverything.com.
"With the launch of today's entry-level satellite chipsets, Broadcom is proliferating HEVC across an entire range of STBs," said Rich Nelson, Broadcom Senior Vice President of Marketing, Broadband Communications Group. "By providing multiple deployment options, Broadcom supports customer requirements to quickly drive video compression technology into the market and efficiently deliver a high-quality user experience from entry-level client devices to high-end STB gateways."
As home subscribers around the world continue to consume more HD content, operators must provide the necessary bandwidth for delivery in STBs. With integrated support for the HEVC compression standard, the new SoCs deliver high-quality 1080p60 HD content at up to 50 percent of the bandwidth required today.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Second-generation digital video broadcasting (DVB-S2) technology in 28 nm process
- Integrated Full Band Capture (FBC) front-end receiver
- Single FBC tuner and one to two DVB-S2 demodulators
- Integrated MoCA 2.0
- HDMI 2.0 and Component Output
- Single Core B15 ARMv7-CPU, 5K DMIPS (BCM7364) and 2K DMIPS (BCM7399)
- HEVC decode 1080p60 (10bit) with 4K-x-2Kp60 upscale
- OpenGL ES 2.0 Graphics Engine
Broadcom's portfolio of HEVC entry-level satellite chipsets are currently sampling.
For ongoing Broadcom news visit our Newsroom, read our B-Connected Blog, or visit us on Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband