Low-Cost Human Interface Device (HID) Bluetooth 3.0 Single-Chip Solution
The Broadcom BCM20730 is a Bluetooth 3.0 single-chip HID (human interface device) solution that enables advanced wireless connectivity for PC peripherals and 3D glasses at more competitive price points and longer battery life than competing solutions. The Broadcom BCM20730 Bluetooth transceiver solution integrates key electronic components that are commonly found in keyboards, mice, remote controls and 3D glasses, enabling more affordable wireless products that extend and enhance the experience of using PCs, notebooks, netbooks, tablets, DTVs, set-top-boxes, Blu-ray players, and a growing range of consumer electronics devices.
The rising popularity of social media, online media and other Internet-based applications is driving more diverse form factors (such as netbooks and tablets) among computing devices and more integrated connectivity in digital TVs and other consumer electronics products. As these various devices evolve to offer applications that require increasing user inputs, more advanced peripherals that feature gestural control, the ability to interpret 3D images, and convenient text entry are replacing traditional wired mice and keyboards, as well as more conventional infrared remote controls. The new Broadcom BCM20730 single-chip HID solution enables a new generation of wireless input peripherals and 3D glasses that take advantage of Bluetooth, the most widely available technology for these applications. With smaller size, a higher level of integration and manufactured in 65 nanometer (nm) CMOS process technology, the BCM20730 delivers lower power consumption than other wireless HID solutions for longer battery life and a more satisfying user experience.
- Compatible with Bluetooth smart ready host devices supporting the Bluetooth HID profile and with hosts compliant to Bluetooth Core Specification versions 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 + EDR, 2.1 + EDR, 3.0 + HS and 4.0
- On-chip support for common keyboard and mouse interfaces
- Powerful ARM Cortex™ M3 32-bit processor eliminates the need for an external processor, reducing overall bill of materials (BoM) cost for wireless peripheral products while offering significantly higher MIPS, supporting advanced applications at lower power than the 8-bit and 16-bit processors offered by most competitive solutions
- Integrated programmable keyscan matrix interface, with up to 8 x 20 key-scanning matrices, eliminating the need for external components otherwise needed for keyboard and mouse products
- Multi-channel quadrature signal decoder for scroll wheels and other rotary interfaces
- Superior receiver sensitivity that maximizes the range and coverage for Bluetooth peripherals
- UART, SPI and Broadcom Serial Communications (compatible with Philips I²C slaves) for interfacing to external non-volatile memories, peripheral ICs and sensors
- On-chip multi-channel ADC for measuring sensor inputs, battery level, etc.
- Additional features to support such applications as:
-3D active shutter glasses supporting the Full HD 3D RF protocol
-Remote controls with Infrared remote control modulation and infrared remote control learning capability
-Gestural input devices with touchpads, accelerometers or gyrometers