High-Capacity StrataXGS® Trident Ethernet Switch Series with Integrated 10G Serial PHY
The BCM56840 series represents the eighth generation of Broadcom's leading StrataXGS® switch architecture and provides up to 64-ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) with the flexibility to also support 40 Gigabit Ethernet (40GbE).
The BCM56840 switch series can be used to build next generation top-of-rack switches, blade switches and modular switches that can be tied together to deliver a highly scalable network, interconnecting thousands of servers for enterprise, as well as cloud provider data centers. The series features cut-through switching and sub-microsecond latency performance making it ideal for algorithmic trading and high performance compute cluster environments.
The series supports Layer 2 / Layer 3 switching with dynamic ACLs and delivers on the key requirements for today's data center including industry leading density and performance, power and cooling, latency and support for data center services.
- Integrates 10G SerDes to reduce the total number of components needed for a system and lowers power consumption
- Features industry-leading low latency and support for cut-through switching
- Provides virtualization in the network allowing multiple applications to run on one server, increasing network efficiency and operational costs
- Supports Data Center Bridging (DCB) and Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) for converged networking
- Features high utilization multi-pathing via Transparent Interconnect of Lots of Links (TRILL) simplifying network topologies while increasing network resiliency and scalability
- Fully supported by Broadcom's widely adopted and field proven software application programming interface (API), which is common across the entire StrataXGS product line