OpenFlow — Data Plane Abstraction Networking Software
Broadcom's OpenFlow Data Plane Abstraction (OF-DPA) software enables development and deployment of scalable and high performance OpenFlow-based Software-Defined Networking applications on widely deployed Broadcom-based switches.
OF-DPA is compliant with the Open Networking Foundation (ONF) OpenFlow v1.3.1 specification. OF-DPA v1.0 defines and implements a hardware abstraction layer that maps the industry-leading StrataXGS switch architecture to the OpenFlow 1.3.1 switch and pipeline.
The OF-DPA specification and API are openly published and provided with turnkey reference implementation on ODM and OCP-compliant switches to enable a community and academia-based development ecosystem. Any OpenFlow v1.3.1 compliant controller and agent can be integrated with OF-DPA to enable popular SDN use cases such as Virtual Tenant Networks, Network Virtualization, Traffic Engineering and Service Chaining.
OF-DPA software is available in two packages:
● An OEM & ODM Development Package (ODP), which is a full source code package distributed under Broadcom SLA.
● A Community Development Package (CDP), which is an Open API library with Application Development Kit distributed on GitHub.
- OpenFlow v1.3.1 pipeline mapping for StrataXGS switch silicon
- Openly published OF-DPA architecture specification, API Library and Application Development Kit
- Rich set of APIs to enable integration with OpenFlow Agent software
- Extensible APIs to support future versions of OpenFlow Protocol
- Portability across StrataXGS and StrataDNX architectures
- Supports SDN use cases including Virtual Tenant Networks, Network Virtualization, Traffic Engineering and Service Chaining
- The OF-DPA Product Brief is available here
- The OF-DPA Architecture Specification version 1.0 is available here
- The OF-DPA Architecture Specification version 2.0 is available here
- A White Paper illustrating the advantages of using OF-DPA-based OpenFlow 1.3.1 switches in a representative traffic engineering application is available here
- The Community Development Package (CDP) is available on GitHub, which is installable on QuantaMesh T3048-LY2 Ethernet Switch and Interface Masters Niagara-2948-6XLM-OCP Open Switch.