802.11b/g and Single-Stream 802.11n 2.4-GHz Router
The BCM5356 processor is Broadcom's lowest cost and most integrated entry level router. It incorporates IEEE 802.11b/g and single-stream IEEE 802.11n MAC and baseband and a 2.4GHz radio transceiver to achieve data rates of up to 150 Mbps. Also on chip is a powerful 333-MHz MIPS 74K CPU core with 32-KB instruction cache and a 32K data cache and an optimized memory subsystem architecture that delivers system performance of over 100Mbps TCP throughput.
In addition, the BCM5356 integrates a highly reliable 2.4 GHz power amplifier that delivers the equivalent performance as external power amplifiers. The BCM5356 includes a variety of components on chip, thereby reducing the Bill of Materials (BOM), and enabling smaller form factor and lower cost PCB solutions. The BCM5356 is implemented in 65nm CMOS technology that enables lower overall power consumption compared to previous generations. Further, it implements a Green Wi-Fi mode that dynamically switches off components of the chip thereby reducing active power consumption.
This solution comes with two options which include:
BCM5356: Single-chip 2.4G single stream IEEE 802.11n retail router
BCM5356U: Single-chip 2.4G single stream IEEE 802.11n retail router with USB support
- Broadcom's lowest cost, single-chip IEEE 802.11b/g and single-stream 802.11n system-on-a-chip (SoC) wireless router
- Integrated high-performance 333MHz MIPS74K CPU with 32K Instruction Cache and 32-K Data Cache along with a enhanced memory sub-system architecture delivering over 100Mbps TCP throughput
- 65nm CMOS implementation coupled with Green Wi-Fi mode results in reduced power consumption while reducing the bill of materials (RBOM) and PCB for Broadcom's lowest cost router solution
- Integrated 5-port 10/100 Ethernet switch and phy with support for serial flash and SDR/DDR DRAM memory interfaces
- Supports Linux, VxWorks and eCos kernels, board support packages, drivers and libraries