Accelerates Roll Out of High Bandwidth Indoor & Outdoor Wireless Networks
As small cell vendors race to fulfill operator demand for higher bandwidth in metropolitan and rural outdoor networks, the small cell base station market is predicted to reach 1.6M units by 2016, according to analyst firm Mobile Experts. Urban networks alone are expected to require 40x more capacity to keep pace with peak demand.
Based on Broadcom's award winning StrataXGS® architecture, the BCM56240 series is the industry's most highly integrated system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution in its class, combining the functionality of up to four stand-alone components on a single chip.
Features Optimized for Mobile Backhaul
Designed to address the economic and performance challenges of operators and service providers as they upgrade legacy mobile networks, the BCM56240 series is the first small cell Ethernet switch with integrated traffic management and deep packet buffering. Featuring the latest in complete carrier-grade Ethernet innovations including MPLS, OAM, time synchronization, protection switching and hierarchical Quality of Service (QoS), the BCM56240 is uniquely suited to a wide variety of system configurations and wireless media types required for emerging small cell and microwave all-outdoor unit (ODU) applications.
Complete Spectrum of Mobile Backhaul Solutions
With today's announcement Broadcom extends its industry-leading portfolio for mobile backhaul, now offering a complete line of end-to-end solutions. As operators work to deliver high-bandwidth mobile broadband across their coverage areas, Broadcom can deliver all of the silicon tools required to solve the diverse range of challenges in the mobile backhaul:
- BCM56240 for small cell backhaul systems
- BCM56440 Series for cell site router and microwave indoor unit (IDU) systems
- BCM56540 for packet transport network (PTN) systems
- BCM56640 Series for carrier Ethernet switch systems
- Non-blocking architecture enables line-rate operation for all packet sizes
- Integrated hierarchical traffic manager with deep off-chip packet buffer expansion option using DDR3 SDRAM
- Latest Carrier Ethernet protocols including MPLS/VPLS, MPLS-TP, PBB, PBB-TE, QiQ
- Dedicated resources for per-service MEF-compliant hierarchical meters and counters
- Low power architecture and Energy Efficient Ethernet™
- Broadcom unified Software Development Kit