BCM56846 StrataXGS® 10/40 GbE Switch
Broadcom® StrataXGS BCM56846 system-on-a-chip (SoC) switch solution is the newest member of the widely adopted Broadcom StrataXGS BCM56840 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) family of devices, already in production with the industry's top OEM manufacturers.
The latest StrataXGS BCM56846 switch builds on the innovation of the BCM56840 series by providing a 200 percent increase in layer 2/layer 3 network address and virtual switch ports scalability, support for the latest IEEE data center networking specifications, and a 20 percent reduction in power consumption. These new features result in breakthrough performance and energy efficiency for virtualized, cloud computing, and web 2.0 data center applications.
The renowned BCM56840 is a series of 40nm multi-layer Ethernet switch devices that enable faster connectivity between servers in the data center. Prior to the introduction of the BCM56840 series, large data center build-outs using 10GbE switches were cost prohibitive and required expensive equipment that consumed significantly more space and power. The Broadcom BCM56840 switch series dramatically changed this landscape enabling any data center, regardless of size, budget and power constraints, to unleash the power of high performance networking and cloud computing.
- Data center switch systems built using the BCM56840 series available from leading OEMs are targeted for cloud computing, web 2.0, financial services, high performance computing (HPC) and business analytics applications.
- Broadcom's fastest chip in production with many major OEMs.
- Support for up to 64-ports of 10GbE with the flexibility to support 40GbE.
- Integrated high-speed, multi-protocol 10Gbps SERDES capable of directly driving 10GbE and 40GbE over SFP+ and copper.
- Implements comprehensive set of critical data center features such as DCB, FCoE, TRILL, VEPA, SPB, Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE), OpenFlow and IEEE 1588.
- Broadcom's largest Layer 2, Layer 3, and virtual switch port table sizes on a single device. Through the implementation of larger forwarding table sizes, the BCM56846 device further increases scalability by 200 percent.
- The BCM56846 SoC solution further reduces power consumption by 20 percent.
- Industry's first merchant Ethernet switch silicon utilized by OEMs to deliver flat, single-tier and multi-tenant network topologies.