Broadcom, NetApp, and VMware Among the First to Demonstrate End-to-end NVMe over Fibre Channel with vSphere
Streamlined solution for enterprise on-premises SAN customers; leverages VMware’s standard management tools & current SAN infrastructure
- NVMe over Fibre Channel running on
- Building an NVMe namespace on the NetApp Array for a Windows Virtual Machine, a SUSE Virtual Machine, and a Redhat Virtual Machine
- Building a Virtual Machine Disk (VMDK)
- Installing VMs on a NVMe/FC Name Space from an ISO on a SCSI FCP LUN, showing concurrent NVMe/FC and SCSI FCP on the same infrastructure
The demo consists of Emulex® LPe32002 Gen 6 HBAs, NetApp AFF A300 all-flash storage array with pre-release ONTAP, and Brocade® Gen 6 switch with a pre-release version of vSphere code1.
Key Advantages of NVMe over Fibre Channel include:
- Highest performance: NVMe over Fibre Channel delivers 50% more IOPs and 30% lower latency over a like SCSI solution on the AFF A700 NetApp array, as measured and validated by Demartek. See the Demartek report for more information.
- Seamlessly extends customer’s existing SAN infrastructure for Real-Time Applications: with concurrent SCSI and NVMe over Fibre Channel support.
- Purpose-built for storage: NVMe over Fibre Channel is lossless and can handle the scalability requirements of next-generation applications including Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Deep Learning (DL), Real-time Analytics and existing mission-critical applications.
- Leverages the most secure Fabric platform: NVMe over Fibre Channel is the proven network for mission-critical data.
“NVMe over Fibre Channel has emerged as the preeminent NVMe-oF protocol. It delivers proven, low-latency performance running over bullet-proof Fibre Channel networks to support existing applications and emerging workloads such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning and data analytics.
“Today’s enterprise is under enormous pressure to unlock the full value of their data quickly. NVMe drives alone won’t deliver on the promise of the next performance revolution. To realize the true value of NVMe technology, you need end-to-end NVMe connecting an all-Flash array with NVMe SSDs through NVMe over Fabric connectivity all the way to the server. Our work with
“VMware software innovation makes the latest storage technology quickly accessible to today’s storage customer. By working with
“As enterprise applications move onto the
“NVMe over Fibre Channel provides a simple, clean path to get the benefits of NVMe over Fabrics™ for the many enterprises that already use Fibre Channel. In our tests, running on the same hardware, we observed significantly higher IOPS and lower latency with NVMe/FC as compared to traditional SCSI FCP. Our report has seen very high interest since it was published in May 2018.”