TAIPEI, Taiwan, June 1, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- 30th Annual COMPUTEX -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new single-chip 802.11n dual-band 3x3 wireless solution. The newest member of the Broadcom(R) Intensi-fi(R) product family revolutionizes how users can experience multimedia content in their homes.
The BCM4331 Wi-Fi solution achieves 450 Mbps data rates in client devices and over 600Mbps throughput (TCP/IP) in 3x3 AP/router configurations. By combining unprecedented wireless capacity with features to improve range, Broadcom's new Intensi-fi chip enables several wireless multimedia applications, including high-definition (HD) video streaming, back-up, storage, multiplayer gaming, audio streaming, wireless printing, and photo sharing.
The BCM4331 802.11n solution delivers full 3x3 performance with three transmitting and three receiving streams of data in either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency bands. An increased number of data streams and antennas results in faster speeds, longer range, fewer dropped connections, and better overall wireless coverage. The BCM4331 is now sampling and will be demonstrated at this week's 30th annual COMPUTEX in Taipei, Taiwan.
- A growing number of consumers want the ability to instantly access over-the-top (OTT) broadband video delivered through internet protocol (IP) directly to their TVs. ABI Research forecasts the connected TV market to exceed 117 million units by 2014.
- With Broadcom's new Intensi-fi system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution HD video content can be downloaded to a notebook computer 50% percent faster than existing 802.11n 2x2 technologies.
- The BCM4331 three-stream architecture employs range-extending features to deliver the highest bandwidths to all corners of the home.
- 3 antenna technology with Broadcom's advanced receiver architecture boosts range by up to 40 percent when compared to existing 802.11n devices
- A low density parity check (LDPC) code further improves the reliability of the wireless link, helping insure media gets properly distributed even in congested environments
- The key features of Broadcom's BCM4331 include:
- Single-chip dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) three stream radio, three antenna 3x3 architecture
- Data rates up to 450 Megabits per second (Mbps)
- Range extension features enabling the delivery of video, data, and media throughout the house
- LDPC code and space-time block coding (STBC) for improving overall range and coverage
- Advanced receiver architecture for industry leading throughput at range
- Best-in-Class Client STA solution
- Bluetooth(R) combo-ready with InConcert(R) Technology for Wireless Coexistence
- InConcert Maestro(TM) and Wi-Fi(R) Direct for easy video streaming between PCs and TVs
- High performance integrated dual-band AP/router
- Lowest cost two-chip simultaneous dual band 3x3 AP solution with the BCM4718 and BCM4331 for 11n 2.4GHz data and 5GHz HD video distribution applications
- Industry-leading simultaneous 3-stream throughput using the 600MHz, MIPS74k BCM4706 processor
- 65 nanometer CMOS PCIe design that promotes integration and low power consumption
- Broadcom's OneDriver(TM) software support and WHQL certified driver support for Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP and Linux
Kevin Mukai, Senior Product Line Manager for Broadcom's WLAN line of business
"We are driving the growth of the wireless market by introducing a solution that addresses the need for performance across multiple demanding applications. Broadcom's BCM4331 3x3 802.11n further enhances the overall user experience by providing substantially improved throughput and range. As a result, products using Broadcom's newest Intensi-fi solution will better address the growing consumer demand to share and distribute HD video content between multiple screens throughout the home, thereby improving the utility of every display device."
Phil Solis, practice director for Wireless Connectivity at ABI Research
"The expanding use of video over Wi-Fi in game consoles, Blu-ray players, and TVs will impose new requirements for Wi-Fi access points. 3x3 Wi-Fi solutions provide the bandwidth and quality of service necessary to stream HD video reliably throughout an entire home, share media content with wireless enabled consumer electronics devices, and utilize Internet-based applications. This is important as consumers migrate to services that require their entertainment devices to be connected and to support their lifestyles wirelessly."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
Other Supporting Resources:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything(R).
Broadcom is one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, and holds over 4,050 U.S. and over 1,460 foreign patents, more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500(R) company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the ability of end users to wirelessly share and enjoy media content using internet-based applications, the demand for Wi-Fi-enabled USB adapters and our position in that segment. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with BCM4331 include, but are not limited to:
- Trends in the broadband communications markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated,
- The timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory;
- The gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- Competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products;
- The timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification; and
- The level of orders received that can be shipped in a fiscal quarter; and other factors.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q12010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom(R), the pulse logo, Connecting everything(R), the Connecting everything logo, Intensi-fi(R) and One Driver(TM) are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts Trade Press Investor Relations Jessica Ingraham T. Peter Andrew Public Relations Representative Vice President, Corporate Communications 949-926-8008 949-926-5663 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless
Copyright (C) 2010 PR Newswire. All rights reserved