OpenFlow, one of the methods for implementing software-defined networking (SDN), enables a standardized way of delivering a centralized, programmable network that can dynamically address changing application requirements. The OF-DPA v1.0 specification, software and API can be used to implement popular use cases such as network virtualization, multi-tenant networks and traffic engineering with higher scale and performance. For more details, view
"The openly published OF-DPA specification, software and API exposes OpenFlow compliant programming constructs over
The OpenFlow Switch in the ONF 1.3.1 specification defines a pipeline that contains multiple tables, each table containing multiple flow entries. The OpenFlow pipeline processing defines how packets interact with these tables. The OF-DPA v1.0 physical switch hardware pipeline abstraction is an implementation of the OpenFlow 1.3.1 Switch optimized for Broadcom StrataXGS Ethernet Switch devices. The OF-DPA v1.0 software and API enables OpenFlow 1.3.1 agents and controllers to access multiple tables implemented in
"OpenFlow multi-table-based programming of the switch hardware can enable implementation of important dynamic provisioning use cases at scale and help lower OPEX," said
"Big Switch Networks is excited to support
OF-DPA Version 1.0 Key Features
- Provides an ONF OpenFlow 1.3.1 compliant switch pipeline and APIs for modifying and querying flow table (e.g., Layer 2 table, Layer 3 table, access control list table) and group table entries, as well as for configuring ports, queues, and VXLAN overlay logical ports.
- Includes OF-DPA v1.0 specification, API library, application development kit, and programmer's guide, all released under the Apache 2.0 license.
- Supports SDN use cases including virtual tenant networks (VTNs), network virtualization using overlays, and traffic engineering.
Future OF-DPA versions are slated to support additional
Broadcomswitch features required in service provider and carrier class applications.
For more information on
For more information on
Beta version of OF-DPA v1.0 software is available now from GitHub with the generally available (GA) version expected in March, 2014. The following switch platforms are supported by the OF-DPA v1.0 reference platform turnkey package - the T3048-LY2 switch based on StrataXGS Trident+ from Quanta and the OCP Open Switch Specification (draft) compliant switch system Niagara 2948-6XLM-OCP based on StrataXGS Trident II from Interface Masters Technologies.
The following OF-DPA related demonstrations will be displayed at the 2014 Open Networking Summit:
Broadcomwill present a workshop at the developer track on Open SDN Stack. The workshop will cover how to use OF-DPA in an open hardware and software environment (Visit ONS - Developer Track to learn more)
- Big Switch Networks will be demonstrating OF-DPA running in Open Network Linux
- Adara Networks will demonstrate use of OF-DPA and StrataXGS Trident II for performing Infrastructure Orchestration and VNF Service Choreography in Multi-tenant Datacenters.
Broadcom Press Contact
Broadcom Investor Contact
News Provided by Acquire Media