Broadcom Announces Open Switch Pipeline Specification Targeting Growing SDN Application Ecosystem
OpenFlow 1.3.1Compliant Reference Platform Enables Scalable, High Performance Applications on Widely Deployed Switch Architecture
OpenFlow, one of the methods for implementing software-defined networking (SDN), enables a standardized way of delivering a centralized, programmable network that can dynamically address changing application requirements. The OF-DPA v1.0 specification, software and API can be used to implement popular use cases such as network virtualization, multi-tenant networks and traffic engineering with higher scale and performance. For more details, view
"The openly published OF-DPA specification, software and API exposes OpenFlow compliant programming constructs over
The OpenFlow Switch in the ONF 1.3.1 specification defines a pipeline that contains multiple tables, each table containing multiple flow entries. The OpenFlow pipeline processing defines how packets interact with these tables. The OF-DPA v1.0 physical switch hardware pipeline abstraction is an implementation of the OpenFlow 1.3.1 Switch optimized for Broadcom StrataXGS Ethernet Switch devices. The OF-DPA v1.0 software and API enables OpenFlow 1.3.1 agents and controllers to access multiple tables implemented in
"OpenFlow multi-table-based programming of the switch hardware can enable implementation of important dynamic provisioning use cases at scale and help lower OPEX," said
"Big Switch Networks is excited to support
OF-DPA Version 1.0 Key Features
- Provides an ONF OpenFlow 1.3.1 compliant switch pipeline and APIs for modifying and querying flow table (e.g., Layer 2 table, Layer 3 table, access control list table) and group table entries, as well as for configuring ports, queues, and VXLAN overlay logical ports.
- Includes OF-DPA v1.0 specification, API library, application development kit, and programmer's guide, all released under the Apache 2.0 license.
- Supports SDN use cases including virtual tenant networks (VTNs), network virtualization using overlays, and traffic engineering.
Future OF-DPA versions are slated to support additional
Broadcomswitch features required in service provider and carrier class applications.
For more information on
For more information on
Beta version of OF-DPA v1.0 software is available now from GitHub with the generally available (GA) version expected in March, 2014. The following switch platforms are supported by the OF-DPA v1.0 reference platform turnkey package - the T3048-LY2 switch based on StrataXGS Trident+ from Quanta and the OCP Open Switch Specification (draft) compliant switch system Niagara 2948-6XLM-OCP based on StrataXGS Trident II from Interface Masters Technologies.
The following OF-DPA related demonstrations will be displayed at the 2014 Open Networking Summit:
Broadcomwill present a workshop at the developer track on Open SDN Stack. The workshop will cover how to use OF-DPA in an open hardware and software environment (Visit ONS - Developer Track to learn more)
- Big Switch Networks will be demonstrating OF-DPA running in Open Network Linux
- Adara Networks will demonstrate use of OF-DPA and StrataXGS Trident II for performing Infrastructure Orchestration and VNF Service Choreography in Multi-tenant Datacenters.
Broadcom Press Contact
Broadcom Investor Contact
News Provided by Acquire Media