C-DOCSIS Combined MAC/PHY
The BCM3218 isBroadcom's flagship C-DOCSIS silicon.Broadcom's flagship C-DOCSIS silicon, the BCM3218, was engineered to deliver large-scale deployments for China's Next Generation Broadcast initiative to converge telecommunications, Internet and television networks.
C-DOCSIS works by using Ethernet Passive Optical Networking (EPON), Gigabit Passive Optical Networking (GPON) or point-to-point digital fiber methods to offer interoperability between system providers and Quality of Service (QoS) to ensure packet delivery during periods of network congestion. The technology is certified by SARFT, the Chinese State Administration of Radio, Film and Television agency that oversees broadcasting in the region.
- Scales from 50 to 200 users
- 16 integrated QAMLink advanced downstream modulators
- Support for up to two physical upstream channels
- Delivers up to 1 Gigabit per second (Gb/s) broadband speeds
- Provides hardware support (MAC) for upstream single-channel and bonded traffic and downstream single-channel bonded and multicast traffic at advanced physical layer rates
- Packet port architectures utilize a GMII to EPON Optical Network Unit