BladeEngine 10Gb Ethernet Controller
BladeEngine® 3 (BE3) is a single-chip, dual-port 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE) controller targeting enterprise applications requiring 10GbE wire-speed performance, multi-protocol offload capabilities and advanced I/O virtualization. The BE3 Controller has two 10GbE interfaces that support XAUI, CX-4, KR and KX-4 physical interfaces, and an x8 PCI Express (PCIe) 2.0 host bus interface. Dual 10GbE network ports can be configured as active/active or active/passive modes of operation. BE3 also supports quad-port-1GbE and a mix of dual-port 10GbE and 1GbE.
The BE3 Controller is built around an array of eight programmable packet engines (PEs), plus an additional ARM9 processor. By offloading TCP/IP, Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and iSCSI protocol processing from the host CPU to dedicated PEs, BE3 Controllers deliver a highly integrated, low power, high performance 10GbE solution ideal for accelerating network and storage application performance on servers and storage systems.
I/O virtualization technology is a key technology for BE3 Controllers, allowing network and storage resources to be carved up into multiple hardware-isolated and protected virtual network and virtual storage interfaces. Virtual network and virtual storage interfaces can be assigned to virtual machines (VMs) to realize near-native performance. Fine-grain quality of service (QoS) management features allow precise bandwidth allocation and management for individual virtual network and storage interfaces through centralized policies using industry-standard management APIs. BE3 Controllers address the need for advanced enterprise class I/O virtualization with driver support for VMware ESX, Linux KVM, Xen and Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisors.
BE3 Controllers are a key component of the Emulex OneConnect® family of Network Adapters that provide10 GbE server connectivity for networking and storage with high-performance protocol offloads for TCP/IP, TCP Chimney Offload Engine (TOE), iSCSI and FCoE.
- Dual 10Gb per second (Gb/s) MAC and dual XAUI/10GBASE-CX4/10GBASE-KX4/10GBASE-KR interfaces
- Full hardware based TCP/IP offload including fragmentation, reassembly and out-of-order processing to minimize host CPU utilization and maximize multicore applications processing
- Complete FCoE offload based on 10 generations of field-proven Emulex LightPulse® Fibre Channel adapters
- Complete iSCSI offload including header and data digests, supported by third generation iSCSI software
- Large on-chip buffers, assisted by innovative cache architecture, maximizes performance and reduces the number of external components and memories required
- Blade servers
- Enterprise servers
- Web servers
- High-performance clustered servers
- Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- iSCSI target controllers