High-Capacity StrataXGS® Trident Ethernet Switch Series with Integrated 10G Serial PHY
*Certain versions of this device are not available for sale in Germany or shipment to or from Germany, and these versions should not be used in any product destined for the German market.
Represents the eighth generation of Broadcom's leading StrataXGS® switch architecture and provides up to 64 ports of 10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) with the flexibility to also support 40-Gigabit Ethernet (40GbE).
The BCM56840 switch series can be used to build next-generation top-of-rack switches, blade switches and modular switches that can be tied together to deliver a highly scalable network, interconnecting thousands of servers for enterprise and cloud-provider data centers. The series features cut-through switching and sub-microsecond latency performance, making it ideal for algorithmic trading and high-performance compute cluster environments. The series supports Layer 2/Layer 3 switching with dynamic ACLs and delivers on the key requirements for today's data center, including industry-leading density and performance, power and cooling, latency and support for data center services.
- Integrates 10G serializer/deserializer (SerDes) to reduce the total number of components needed for a system and lowers power consumption
- Features industry-leading low latency and support for cut-through switching
- Provides virtualization in the network, allowing multiple applications to run on one server, increasing network efficiency and reducing operational costs
- Supports Data Center Bridging (DCB) and Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) for converged networking
- Features high-utilization multipathing via Transparent Interconnect of Lots of Links (TRILL), simplifying network topologies while increasing network resiliency and scalability
- Fully supported by Broadcom's widely adopted and field-proven software Application Programming Interface (API), which is common across the entire StrataXGS® product line
- Carrier and Service Provider Servers (switching)
- Data Center Servers (switching)
|I/O Controller||PowerPC 476 @ 1.2 GHz|
|Transfer Rates||Supports 12, 6, and 3Gb/s SAS and 6, 3Gb/s SATA data transfer rates|
|External Memory Interfaces||Flash ROM, NVSRAM|