High-Capacity StrataXGS® Trident Ethernet Switch Series with Integrated 10G Serial PHY
Represents the eighth generation of Broadcom's leading StrataXGS® switch architecture and provides up to 64 ports of 10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) with the flexibility to also support 40-Gigabit Ethernet (40GbE).
The BCM56840 switch series can be used to build next-generation top-of-rack switches, blade switches and modular switches that can be tied together to deliver a highly scalable network, interconnecting thousands of servers for enterprise and cloud-provider data centers. The series features cut-through switching and sub-microsecond latency performance, making it ideal for algorithmic trading and high-performance compute cluster environments. The series supports Layer 2/Layer 3 switching with dynamic ACLs and delivers on the key requirements for today's data center, including industry-leading density and performance, power and cooling, latency and support for data center services.
- Integrates 10G serializer/deserializer (SerDes) to reduce the total number of components needed for a system and lowers power consumption
- Features industry-leading low latency and support for cut-through switching
- Provides virtualization in the network, allowing multiple applications to run on one server, increasing network efficiency and reducing operational costs
- Supports Data Center Bridging (DCB) and Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) for converged networking
- Features high-utilization multipathing via Transparent Interconnect of Lots of Links (TRILL), simplifying network topologies while increasing network resiliency and scalability
- Fully supported by Broadcom's widely adopted and field-proven software Application Programming Interface (API), which is common across the entire StrataXGS® product line
- Carrier and Service Provider Servers (switching)
- Data Center Servers (switching)