100-Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Capable Switching Silicon
*Certain versions of this device are not available for sale in Germany or shipment to or from Germany, and these versions should not be used in any product destined for the German market.
Represents the industry's first 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) capable switching silicon.
The BCM88600 series integrates the features and functionality of an entire high-performance line card into a single chip, thus enabling a new generation of networking solutions. The series features the only merchant silicon solution that can process a single stream of 100GbE at Layer 2-Layer 4 with integrated traffic management capabilities. The BCM88600 series allows OEMs to build scalable modular switching platforms with capacity ranging from 100 Gigabits per second (Gb/s) to 100 Terabits per second (Tb/s). The series can be used to build a variety of network switch solutions, from small fixed standalone configurations to large modular chassis-based solutions. Multiple chassis of different sizes can be seamlessly interconnected via a two-stage fabric element (e.g. FE600), delivering thousands of wirespeed 10GE/40GE/100GE ports. The unified infrastructure enables system vendors to build a single scalable product line sharing the same switching infrastructure to address a variety of densities and applications.
- Offers several variations designed to meet the needs of specific applications including data centers, enterprise, optical transport networks (OTNs), routers and other service provider systems
- Dynamically load balance traffic over the integrated fabric interface, allowing automatic fault detection and recovery with no software intervention
- Includes a flexible SerDes-based network interface supporting various standards, such as SGMII, QSGMII, XAUI, RXAUI, XAUI+ (SPAUI), QSGMII+ and Interlaken
- Offers industry-leading traffic management capabilities, providing programmable hierarchical scheduling and shaping tens of thousands of traffic flows and aggregates per device
- TDM/OTN cross-connect is supported offering CBR with no buffering in external memory, reducing latency and total number of components required for a system and lowering power consumption
- Some devices include a programmable packet processor supporting a variety of enterprise, metro-Ethernet and data center-related services such as bridging, IPv4/IPv6 routing, MPLS, L2VPNs, L3VPNs, OAM, TRILL and FCoE
- The integrated packet processor uses on-chip databases with optional off-chip expandability. The processing logic is programmable by micro-code
- Supported by Broadcom's common Application Programming Interface (API)
- Carrier and Service Provider Servers (switching)
- Data Center Servers (switching)