Integrated Ethernet Multilayer Switch and Traffic Manager
Combines a feature-rich packet processing engine, an integrated hierarchical traffic manager, a deep external packet buffer and a nonblocking switch fabric into a single 40 nm CMOS device.
The BCM56440 is Broadcom's eighth generation of the StrataXGS® product line. The Broadcom BCM56440 is purpose-built for next-generation Carrier Ethernet Edge and Mobile Backhaul platforms. The BCM56440 supports an integrated packet buffer with an external packet buffer expansion option, using economical DDR3 SDRAM technology. The BCM56440 is capable of handling L2 switching, L3 routing, Metro VPN tunneling and Access Control Lists (ACLs). The BCM56440's virtualized architecture enables seamless support for VPLS, VPWS, MPLS-TP, PBB and PBB-TE tunneling. In addition, the BCM56440 supports Ethernet OAM and BFD in hardware to enable a complete host CPU offload for these functions. The BCM56440 also offers unparalleled integration for supporting Ethernet time synchronization. Synchronous Ethernet Clock recovery is supported on any port to enable physical layer clock synchronization. In addition to physical layer clock synchronization, the BCM56440 supports both IEEE 1588v2 and IEEE 802.1as packet-based clock synchronization.
- Industry-leading Ethernet edge switch for Carrier Access Networks
- Provides cost-effective, seamless transition for Not Recommended for New Design TDM networks
- Ideally suited for 3G & 4G mobile backhaul transport
- Delivers unparalleled integration of features and functions such as: switching, traffic management, timing, circuit emulation services and memory
- Provides complete solution for all parts of the mobile backhaul network, from small to very large port counts
- Carrier and Service Provider Servers (switching)
|SerDes / GPHY||24 x 1G, 4 x 10G|
|I/O Bandwidth (Gbps)||72|
|I/O BANDWIDTH (Gbps)||72 Gbps|